The Green Elephant is committed to protecting our environment to ensure a sustainable future for our children and through continuous improvement we strive to be a better tomorrow than we are today.
Learning about sustainability starts with everyday practice. Sustainable practices are embedded in the children’s daily routine and in their day-to-day activities, these include:
• Using recyclable materials where possible
• Encouraging children to use half flush on the toilets
• Encouraging children to turn the water off when they have washed their hands
• Encouraging children to recycle paper and rubbish within their rooms, at home
and when in the community
• Talking with the children about electricity and encouraging them to turn off lights
• Educating children and having them participate in ‘garden to plate’ activities
i.e. seed sprouting, weeding, vegetable gardens, cooking amongst other activities
• Educating children on caring for plants and our waterways i.e. recycling water
• Emptying the children’s drinking bottles onto the garden
• Asking families to bring in recyclable items to use for arts and craft
• Planning excursions and incursions focused on sustainable practices, such as:
- Contacting the council to present educational opportunities for sustainability
workshops and events.
- Visiting the zoo and learning about the animals (sponsoring an animal)
- Inviting families and other community members to share their sustainable
ideas and practices.